Friday, July 3, 2009

I received a letter from President Obama yesterday

In it he referred me to a web site he has created: WhiteHouse.gov I went there and from what I was able to read in my search on the abortion issue, I am including an excerpt from what he said when he spoke at Notre Dame University:

That’s when we begin to say, "Maybe we won’t agree on abortion, but we can still agree that this heart-wrenching decision for any woman is not made casually, it has both moral and spiritual dimensions."
So let us work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions, let’s reduce unintended pregnancies. (Applause.) Let’s make adoption more available. (Applause.) Let’s provide care and support for women who do carry their children to term. (Applause.) Let’s honor the conscience of those who disagree with abortion, and draft a sensible conscience clause, and make sure that all of our health care policies are grounded not only in sound science, but also in clear ethics, as well as respect for the equality of women." Those are things we can do. (Applause.)
Now, understand -- understand, Class of 2009, I do not suggest that the debate surrounding abortion can or should go away. Because no matter how much we may want to fudge it -- indeed, while we know that the views of most Americans on the subject are complex and even contradictory -- the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable. Each side will continue to make its case to the public with passion and conviction. But surely we can do so without reducing those with differing views to caricature"


I have written him several letters, one regarding my disturbance with the pro choice faction speaking for the democratic party, while I and many other Christian democrats are unaboutedly still pro life and feeling extremely frustrated because of the direction the democratic party has taken on this difficult subject.

I believe that the Christian pro life democrats should speak out. In his letter to me President Obama said that he appreciated my imput and thought on the difficlt issue of abortion. He also says that he is interested in making his Administration as open and transparent as any in history.

I believe him when he says that, and in the months to come, I will continue to write him my concerns when they become so urgently felt that it seems necessary. I was heartened by his words about conscience in his address to Notre Dame, as though he respects conscience which does not seem to be the case with the architects of FOCA. The future and indeed the present text of FOCA still remains shrouded in darkness. It remains to be seen what if any changes have been made in its intent and purpose since Obama became the candidate and won the presidency.

No comments:


Herrad

Blog Archive