Monday, May 18, 2009

"War Mother" sculpture by Charles Umlauf in June Issue of Sun featuring an interview with John Dear about non violence and what Christ would do


Also contained in this issue was a letter I wrote to the editor way back protesting an interview with Paul Krassner who I thought did not acknowledge the violence of the abortion solution. I wrote that I hoped the Sun would print interviews with the non violent to balance out his view, and lo and behold the interview by John Malkin of John Dear on nonviolence, civil disobedience, and doing time could not have been stronger. I feel now the editors saved my letter to print in this issue.
John Dear is a Christian activist who was inspired by the Berrigan Priest, Daniel Berrigan, who had also greatly inspired me at the time he was so active. John Dear protests nuclear weapons and war in many ways, through lectures, his books, and protests that have landed him in jail.
He said Berrigan pointed out to him that Christ was the great protester who died for his beliefs because governments always believe in war. He always preached non violence and forgiveness.
I was very impressed with his explanation of his Christian activism. He also said that he believed in vegetarianism because the world's hunger for meat is destroying our environment. That is also very troubling to me. He said people are starving because of this unnatural appetite for meat, and how much grain, water, etc, it takes to satisfy the world's appetite, while many who can't afford it starve. He said vegetarianism is a less expensive diet which I have found out and healthier for us.
I felt as though I had been uplifted and nurtured upon reading John Dear's words, his ideas on how to put belief into action that stirs change in the hearts of men.
My sister Margie gave me this subscription of Sun Magazine for Christmas. My niece Cheryl gave it to me for three or four years some time ago.

2 comments:

sober white women said...

I like the fact that you are willing to back up your "talk" with actions.
Many people are often ready to jump on to a subject and will scream about it, but then when it comes time to do something about it, they loose their nerve.
Good for you for writing the letter, and making people see two sides to the story.
Kelli

Amrita said...

Congrats for having your letter published for a good cause.


Herrad

Blog Archive