Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Humpty Dumpty took a great fall as with substance abuse
Today I am talking about a three part series in the newspaper about a volunteer informant who was lured by angry drug transporters to a house, tortured and killed, despite being under the protection of law enforcement trying to keep track of him after a drug shipment had been confiscated. Well, this is drug war at the top where the big shipments of drugs come into Phoenix to be distributed across the country.
At the bottom level, we the people deal with the substance abusers who get so out of control they have to be evicted which happened recently in our complex to a resident who had been sober quite a few years. He was a popular attractive man so his meltdown to the status of homeless on the hard streets of blazing summer heat in Arizona was disturbing. I had seen him a few months before his descent back into alcoholism act as though he were under the influence of drugs I assumed to be illegal, and was alarmed, knowing that could be a trigger to a drinking pattern so extreme that death could well be the result.
I just don't know if Humpty Dumpty can ever be put back together again so he can survive a few more years. If not, his loss will seem like a frightful waste.
My own take on such loss of control is that we need better and more communication. That is why I have taken to talking each day out under the trees to everybody and anybody. I have given up TV so as to free up more time and energy for this important activity.
I think TV watching, all of us in our separate little cubicles, has changed us into lonely disconnected people, and the only answer is to make time for what used to be called 'neighboring' once again. The more bad news we hear on TV, the more fearful we become of everyone, and actually the more we don't talk, the more dangerous we may actually be, because TV watching is not interactive. Only a few people get to perform. So during hours and hours of TV related inactivity, we tend to abuse substances alarmingly. Even our children get fat from inactivity. And we remain undeveloped in so many ways, which is the fate of those who only watch and do not do.
Kids interacting only with a box do not develop social skills needed to raise communication to higher levels. It is no wonder political squabbles sound like people who have no understanding of what other people are all about, a bunch of ranting.
The internet invites more partipation from everyone which is what we need. I choose it over TV as my activity using the technological. I choose reading because so much more depth can be put into a good book which is not possible with TV and all the controls exerted over it by advertisers, etc.
I feel I have already made strides in my communication just by focusing on it and making sure I do it. I have been having the most interesting indepth conversations with an amazing amount of people. Why no TV program could be any more fascinating. I am hearing lots of stories of childhood difficulties that people have survived. And all the time I can see the people reviving like wilted flowers with attention focused on them and their stories. I have tried to watch so many shoddy creations on TV for so many years. I just did not have the courage to free myself from TV bondage. There was always the chance I might miss something. Now I think of what I have missed by spending so many years watching.
Had my friend been convinced that his salvation lay in communication, talking about his feelings of depression and boredom, perhaps he would not be fighting for his life in the hard mean streets. I knew he suffered from boredom, as he would say it. But he just did not connect enough before he substituted a concoction of poisonous substances to give him his high. Too many years among people addicted to the box. We were programmed to think we could not get along without it. I am freeing myself slowly and feeling sad because it may be too late for him. So think of change before it is too late!
- ► 2010 (422)
- Humpty Dumpty took a great fall as with substance ...
- Time for meditation
- My Farmers Market bouquet from Doc
- More pool magic and visit to the doctor
- Grandson Dante calls from church
- Giving up TV for the world
- Homeless walk
- "My therapist has developed a derriere obsession"
- Kerynn's snuggle blanket
- Getting better and better
- Planned Parenthood files lawsuit in Maricopa Count...
- Planned Parenthood and Center of Reproductive Righ...
- "Musings of a Piano Girl" inspired me today
- Good old country livin' just made me tard or how I...
- Chronic fatigue keeps me practically bedridden for...
- Doc has a new Youtube channel and a new blog!
- Steve Susoyev Review (People Farm) of Raymond's s...
- Raymond, Scott, and Kurt work on show in SF, siste...
- Kerynn Taylor Pierce is here!
- My heart is in San Francisco
- My beefy arms vs Doc's vodka soaked brain cells
- In People Farm, Steve Susoyev writes the story of ...
- Alcoholic says please dont help me
- I meet up with the homeless one
- Are government entitlements fair to all our popula...
- I spent what seemed like hours flyng (badly) last ...
- I got talented kids
- Come git your drunk Daddy before we put him in jai...
- Got lots to tell you!
- Doc concerned about alcoholic being evicted becaus...
- ▼ September (30)