Thursday, December 16, 2010

Raymond talks about his circus play for kids, "Amy"s Attic" as he gets ready to sing at the Paisley Violin tonight while featuring 10 minute shots for many performers


I am posting the last segment of the series I did of Raymond in the park talking about Playwrights Workshop Theater and all the Phoenix playwrights and their plays. I had so much fun filming this I am looking forward to continuing the series featuring more plays and Phoenix playwrights the theater made better known if not world famous.  I believe that everyone who writes with serious intent deserves some attention and appreciation, and the more people society decides to honor for effort, the better off we all are.
I have always believed that focusing on a relatively few celebrities all the time is just a lazy way of giving them far more than anybody else.  Newspaper and magazine people as well as TV powers that be need to feature unknowns whenever possible. We need to distribute attention just like the wealth needs to be distributed better so the many don't struggle in poverty and deprivation while the few grab far more dollars than they will ever need.  

1 comment:

kanyonland King 2.blogspot.com said...

So fascinating to talk about your plays and the fun it was. We did Sandstones that Raymond wrote at Panguitch High. The kids won best actor, best supporting actor, and others but we didn't win best play because the play was by an unknown writer. I was disgusted. The next year we did The Devil and Daniel Webster..I thought it was a play that could win...and my lead actors checked out of my class because I gave them a lower grade than an A. I couldn't talk them back.
Raymond came to my rescue..wrote a play called Apathy
with each character playing themselves, a futuristic play where everyone was told what to do over the tv..one died of Apathy.
The kids did it well and it was so different, I was once again put to task for not using a well-known play by a well-known writer. We won nothing. But that play hit a part of me (part rebellion?) that made me almost laugh to do it. I still have this great satisfaction for having put on that particular play. Thanks for the help, Raymond!


Herrad

Blog Archive