Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A great day and a half to my daughter Ronda's


I went out to be there when my grandson Ethan went to school and to be there when he got home as Ronda had to work a 12 hour shift and Chad, my SIL, was out of town. My grandson Jamal, 17, also popped in from school early, but could not be there for his brother because he had to play in a state tennis tournament,(they won) so he will be playing next weekend, too. He dropped out playing singles when he came down with strep throat and couldn't play, but likes doubles even better he says.
Jamal and I chatted about his upcoming plans. He got a Presidential scholarship for ASU where he intends to major in business, starting this coming year. I will soon be getting his high school commencement announcement. I met his girlfriend who will be living in an ASU dorm down town! She is going to major in health and nutrition he says.
Ethan asked me if I wanted him to read aloud his 30 minutes of required reading in the evening (by his parents). I said yes, so he read out of a book about Mars which I enjoyed very much.
I got better acquainted with their little dog Bailey. I asked my daughter if she had a leash, so if I took him for a walk I could control him. Was I glad I took that precaution as when he heard a sound out in the desert, he made a serious attempt to get away from me and get out there and chase it down. My daughter said yes, he would probably chase whatever it was until he was exhausted as he was bred to do. I love this little dog (I think he is a border terrier) and I sure did not want to be the one to lose him. Ronda lives right on the edge of a great pristine part of the desert, and it was so beautiful.
I apologize for being too lazy to take my camera and the charger, as the desert was just starting to bloom in all its spring glory as were the palo verde. Their back yard was in full bloom and so beautiful.
To tell the truth, it took me a while to get up from down. I really needed this break. Ronda and I visited. She brought home a lovely lunch today from an Arabic cafe, featuring hummus and falafel bean croquettes, the best I have tasted. The hummus was divine, too.
We watched American Idol and Dancing with the Stars on her big wide movie screen TV which was like going to the movies. We chatted about her job in nursing. And I came home with $25 of Tide because she and Chad just bought a washer and dryer that takes a certain kind of soap, and she was over supplied.

5 comments:

Astaryth said...

Sounds like a pretty good day. I love the last picture. What a wonderful looking family.

I am sorry you didn't have your camera though.... spring in the desert is very pretty.

Pamela said...

I'm so glad you had a good visit. Your daughter is so pretty! I hope she is enjoying being a nurse. It's definitely a challenge! I'd love it if she started to blog and I could read about her experiences.
Hope you have a good day today.
Pam

kanyonland King 2.blogspot.com said...

I would have loved to see all the blooming desert flora...it can be beautiful in the spring. Your grandkids are sprouting wings! Jamal in college! It sounds like you had a lovely time.

sober white women said...

I am so glad that you had an awesome day!
Kelli

Amrita said...

Nice reading about it Gerry.

Jamal is an Asian name.


Herrad

Blog Archive